Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Gavin's Big Break

Yesterday afternoon, just as I'd started a piano lesson, Gavin came inside and was screaming/crying as if he'd been seriously injured. I asked him what was wrong and he showed me this little scratch on his wrist and told me he'd fallen out of the tree. (He has been told numerous times NOT to climb the tree.) I told him I'd look at it closer when my lesson was finished and gave him a cold, wet paper towel and told him to hold it against the cut. When my lesson left, I tried to look at the scratch again but Gavin wouldn't move the paper towel from his arm and said it just hurt really bad.

We had a few errands to run so I loaded everyone into the van. We ended at Grandma Tisa and Grandpa Dave's house. After a little coaxing, Grandpa was able to convince G to let him look at his wrist. Gavin even let him apply some neosporin and a bandaid. Nearly 2 hours after his fall, Gavin was still whimpering and complaining that it hurt. We looked at the wrist again and it looked a little swollen and my mother-in-law said she thought I should have it x-rayed, just to be sure.

So Cam stayed with Grandpa, (Grandma had a Visiting Teaching appointment) and Owen stayed with Aunt Callie (who was home sick with pneumonia) and I took Gavin to the pediatric clinic by our house.

We had to wait for the on-call x-ray tech to come to the clinic and Gavin wouldn't let the nurse or doctor touch his wrist. After the x-rays were read it was determined that he'd broken both bones in his arm. They put a splint on his arm that he'll wear for 2 days so the swelling can go down and then he's scheduled to get a GREEN cast on Thursday.


We had tickets to the Oquirrh Mountain Temple Open House last night and decided to go, even though we were late and didn't know how Gavin would do. He was a real trooper but it was a little odd because he was mellow and observant instead of bouncing off the walls. The temple was gorgeous by the way.

2 comments:

Jane said...

I feel so bad about Gavin's broken arm. He looks so sad in that first picture. I hope it heals quickly when he gets his awesome green cast Thursday. It's a good thing we already had our Bear Lake trip. I can't imagine trying to keep "G" out of the water! Love you Gavin!

Jeff and Alyssa Hertzler said...

Holy crap!!! I can't believe that happened. You just never know huh? Hope he feels better soon. Can't imagine that this is an easy thing for a little guy (or his parents) to go through.