Thursday, October 1, 2009

Violated and Totally Exposed

Because this book is going to be made into our family journal I've decided to write this post...not because I want the world to know about it or because I'm looking for sympathy.

Yesterday morning, September 30th, Spencer woke up pretty early to get ready for work. Lately he's tried to be at work by 7 am at the latest but yesterday he started moving around at 5:30. Callie had woken up about 30 minutes before and was getting ready for her day. I was still sound asleep, aware that Spence was up but not willing to get out of bed yet. At 6:00 he came into our room and said, "You may want to wake up, I've just called the police and they're on the way to our house...we've been broken into." Obviously in hysterics, I jumped out of bed and put in my contacts. I ran downstairs to discover that our TV was missing. I asked Callie and Spence if anything else was gone and Callie said her iPod had been taken from her car. My stomach dropped because I'd left my purse in my car the night before. I ran out to the car and discovered that my purse had also been taken. The officer arrived quickly and started taking a detailed report.

Spencer told us he had woken up, gotten dressed, came downstairs, got his jacket out of the closet and went to get in his car without turning any lights on on the main level of our house. When he got out to the garage he noticed that the interior lights in my car were on. He walked over to the driver's side to check the doors and noticed the "man-door" to the garage was slightly ajar. He walked back in the house where Callie was getting ready to leave. They turned on the lights and saw that the tv was missing. That's when he called 911.

Poor Cameron (who is feeling very guilty) had used the door to the garage earlier in the week and had forgotten to lock it. We NEVER use that door and didn't notice that it was unlocked. It was very windy with thunder that night and any noise we may have subconsciously heard through the break-in was attributed to that. Needless to say, whoever came and interrupted our entire lives, was probably just getting started when Callie and/or Spencer woke up. They walked past many other valuable things that I think, if they'd have had time, they would have taken as well. The saddest part of the entire episode to me is that they stole Cameron's red Cars wallet which had his hard-earned $15 in it. He was devastated when he discovered it was gone.

I've had to cancel EVERYTHING that was in my wallet. I spent the majority of yesterday on the phone putting Fraud Alerts on our credit, cancelling debit and credit cards, and figuring everything out with our banks. It's been a nightmare! If there was a font on my computer called "sarcastic font" I'd use it to thank whoever broke into our house, who stole our TV, Callie's ipod, Cameron's wallet, and my purse because it has been an absolute joy to clean up his mess. Okay, I'm getting bitter again so I guess that's it.

We're happy to say that we were protected. I cringe when I think of what may have happened if anyone would have woken up and seen the criminal. I'm grateful that he didn't get away with very much. And yes, we are double and triple-checking our locks from now on. This will not happen again!

8 comments:

Jane said...

How quickly things can change! I was just noticing the title of your previous post, and although I'm sure you weren't feeling too blest after the break-in, the feelings of comfort came eventually. These type of challenges help you realize what's really important, and "things" aren't as important as people and relationships. Hang in there!

Becky T said...

Wow! That is NOT fun. I am sorry for you guys, but glad things weren't worse than they were. I feel bad for your poor Cameron and his wallet, how sad! It's impossible to put into words how you feel after something like this, isn't it? That violated feeling is not fun, that's for sure! I hope you are able to wrap it up and get past it quickly.

whitney allison said...

HOLY FREAKING CRAP!!! I cannot believe this. I am so sorry. I've had my car broken into many times but your home? I'm so sorry. I HATE burglars.

Brad and Rebecca said...

i am SHOCKED! Dirty rotten filthy thieves. SO sorry...

Amy said...

That is seriously scary and sucks...I am sorry. I am such a freak about stuff like that, I think I would need meds...

Jake and Megan said...

OH mY! That is crazy! It makes me so mad that someone thinks they can come in to somebody home & just take what they want. I hope someday they pay for what they did, espcially taken Cameron wallet!!

Damien and Ashley said...

how awful!!!! that totally ticks me off. stupid criminals....sorry it happened to you guys! poor cameron!

Jeff and Alyssa Hertzler said...

Holy Cow!! How scary for you guys! I am so sorry this happened to you guys.