Monday, September 2, 2013

Weekend in Idaho

We spent the long weekend in Blackfoot to celebrate my birthday and relax on Labor Day. Callie was driving up on Friday afternoon and offered to take Gavin & Owen with her. They were able to go to the Eastern Idaho State Fair Parade Saturday morning and saw all three of Ryan's girls in the parade. Abbie held a banner and Avery & Jette were on a float. They caught a lot of candy and other goodies, including a t-shirt for Owen! 



We went to Cameron's football game Saturday afternoon and then drove to Idaho, stopping a few times for potty breaks and once to get some deliciousness from the Burger Bar in Roy. (I had been craving their deep fries mushrooms and they didn't disappoint.) 


We got to Idaho around 7 and went to Ryan & No'el's. Ryan had to go to work basically when we arrived but No'el was a fabulous host, as always. Spencer grilled hot dogs while my dad prepared fresh cut French fries. As we were sitting outside waiting for the food to be ready, I turned to Callie and told her I was going to go jump on the trampoline and I handed her my phone to take a few pics. I did a ton of toe touches, hurkies, etc and laughed the whole time! I'm such a dork. 

The kids loved playing with their cousins and we enjoyed our time. We finished the night with cupcakes and then went to my parents to sleep. 

We woke up Sunday and got ready for church. Cameron was throwing a little fit about having to go to Primary because, now that Abbie's 12, she goes to Young Women's for the last hour. We told him he could go to Elder's Quorum with Spencer if he wanted. He went back in the bedroom to get dressed and then came back out and said "I have a problem. I forgot to pack my church clothes." We're still not sure if it was intentional but he assures us it was an accident.

My mom was playing the organ, as it is her calling, and when she started the Opening Hymn, "How Firm A Foundation" I turned to Callie and said, "something is wrong, this song is way too high." Sure enough, someone had turned the organ's transposing switch up 3+ steps so when they highest note, a high E was played, it was actually a high A! Very few people in the congregation were singing because it was too high so after the first verse, my mom stopped, fixed the problem, played another intro, and we continued the hymn. Callie and I were laughing so hard that when my mom looked at us, she started laughing and none of us could gain our composure. Immature? Yes. But it was SO hilarious!! I giggle just thinking about it. 

It was testimony meeting and Ryan bore his testimony, as is his tradition at the beginning of the school year and fair time. Grandpa Baldwin used to bear his testimony every September and preach to the young people about being smart with your money, especially at the fair. Ryan echoed that advice and then added his own sermon about being kind to others as we begin another school year. He also told the youth to renew their commitment of not partaking of alcohol or drugs. He told them how quickly a single drink can become an addiction and how their choices can affect those around them. It was such a nice testimony. 
 
[Side note...A few minutes before we left for church I got the following text message: 
All church meetings have been cancelled today and we have been advised to stay indoors by our Stake Presidency. There is a dangerous man on the loose in this area of Draper.  Spread the word!
I was saddened to hear later that a police officer was killed by a gun shot when he stopped to assist a couple who was having a verbal disagreement. The couple was also injured and were taken to the hospital. How sad for the officers family. The city of Draper residents are leaving their porch lights on to honor the fallen policeman. ]

After church, we were lucky to have Uncle Tim, Rachel & Mike, Shon, and Matt's son Matthew Levi for dinner. My mom prepared a Grandma Marie meal of Roast Beef, Potatoes & gravy, Rolls, Veggies, Green Salad and Chocolate Cake & ice cream for dessert. It was fun to catch up with our Arizona relatives. After dinner, we caravanned to Uncle Nick's where most of his family was visiting. I was so happy to see my cousins and get to visit with them for a few hours. My kids loved playing with all of their kids and the weather was so nice that they all played outside. Aunt Susan & Uncle Nick have a lovely yard with a lot of fun things to do. It's fun for all ages. 

Monday was Labor Day. Spencer & my dad went dove hunting as soon as they woke up. Cameron joined them and "retrieved" anything they shot. It started raining a bit so they came inside and reported that they'd shot 9 doves. My dad took care of the birds, putting the breasts in a baggie for a friend of his. We had a delicious French Toast breakfast. The rain had stopped so Spencer & dad went back out, this time taking all of the boys & Madi! They were out for a while, only coming back to the house because it started pouring again. I think they got 4 or 5 more doves. Spencer enjoyed the chance to shoot his gun and the kids thought it was great to be outside with grandpa and riding the 4-wheeler. 

We left Blackfoot around 2 o'clock and drove in a complete downpour for at least the first hour. I was nervous but Spencer is such a good driver and I'm so thankful for our safe car. 

What a relaxing weekend and a great way to spend my 34th birthday!

1 comments:

Emily said...

Thanks for the great report! I really appreciate the detail you put into this post. I laughed right along with you as you explained the opening hymn scene :) and got teary eyes thinking of grandpa&Ryan's words. I didn't bury up my testimony :) but I did talk to my class about the importance of being kind to your classmates. Carrying on a tradition and didn't even realize it! I'm so glad you all had a wonderful weekend together! One of these years, we hope to be there with you!