Monday, April 26, 2010

April Check-Up

I saw the doctor for the second time on April 14th. My doctor does an ultrasound at each appointment to check on the babies. The nurse told me that it can get difficult to distinguish between the two babies heartbeats and they want to make sure that they can see both of them. I'm pretty glad that they do that because, although I have finally adjusted to having TWINS, the reassurance the ultrasound brings each month is comforting and fun to see. The babies have both grown a lot since the initial appointment. I'm still feeling fantastic. Other than minor bouts of nausea and being super tired around 1:30 every single day, I feel pretty normal. Oh yes, and the fact that I'm growing rapidly... I was 15 weeks at my appointment but measuring at 21!!!

I had a few questions for the doctor, mostly questions that others have asked me. Since some of you may be curious, here are the questions I asked and the answers the doctor gave me. (I'm sure some of you may have asked similar questions and perhaps received completely different answers. I'm listing these questions and answers basically for myself...I'm a little forgetful. I'm writing the answers I was given as I understand them...and I'm not a doctor so I could have totally misunderstood :) )

Q--Can we tell yet if they are fraternal or identical?
A--The babies each have their own sack, which is better for them medically. If they are sharing a placenta, they are identical. If they each have their own, they are fraternal. They may or may not be able to determine this until after the babies are born.

Q--How do I answer the question, "When are you due?" (I get that ALL the time.)
A--My due date is October 2nd. That will not change. However, we are planning for a healthy delivery in September.

Q--If the babies are born at 36 weeks, will their lungs be developed?
A--The babies lungs are fully developed at 38 weeks. If the babies come at 37 weeks, there is a 5% chance they will need oxygen. If they come at 36 weeks, there is a 15% chance they will need oxygen. If the doctor notices any signs of preterm labor prior to 36 weeks, I may have to have some steroid treatment to make the lungs develop quicker.

Q--What is the typical birth weight of twins?
A--Generally twins are somewhere between 5-6 pounds. Since Owen was 9 pounds when he was born, I hope my body is somewhat prepared to carry 10-12 pounds of baby!!!

We are scheduled for a super-duper ultrasound at a hospital that specializes in high-risk pregnancy and multiple births on May 5th. If everyone cooperates, we'll find out the genders then. I'll be sure to post as soon as we know! Any other questions I should ask at our next appointment?

8 comments:

Corinne said...

Twins is absolutely thrilling. My Spencer always said he wanted twins (two for the price of one), I wasn't in agreement with that! I hope for you that you get at least 1 girl, but healthy babies is all we really ask for. Good luck!

JMP said...

So glad for blog updates! I am so excited for you.

Mendel Family said...

That is an excellent day to find out what you are having! Not only is it cinco de mayo, but it is our five year anniversary ;) hehehehe :) We are very excited for you, and thanks for posting the questions and answers. It is very interesting to hear!

Damien and Ashley said...

Glad to hear everything looked good at your appointment! I can't imagine how you keep doing everything, so keep taking naps during the afternoon and let Callie hold down the fort. Tell her she can come stay with me anytime too. What I wouldn't do for a nap....:)

Gma Tisa said...

Hmmmm...August (Natalie), September (Babies), October (Spencer and Owen), November (Gavin), December (Cameron)!!!! How in the world did this all get orchestrated like this? Very cute--very fun!

Julie said...

Thanks for posting the baby updates. I like to keep track of how things are going with you.

k8 said...

What the heck?!! I am so happy for you!!
So glad I checked out your blog!

lacey said...

Nat- Congratulations! If anyone could handle it you can girl! Girls would be so fun for you, but either way healthy babies are the best!! Good luck and by the way, I would definetely recommend the steroid shots for the lungs no matter what! They can't hurt them and they made the world of difference for my last one:)