Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Charity

Spencer teaches Elder's Quorum once a month. The lesson he gets to teach this Sunday is titled "Charity". I have a favorite quote about Charity that my cousin, Rachel, gave me a few years back. I pulled it up for Spencer to possibly use in his lesson and wanted to post it on my blog too. It's that good! (And don't be surprised if I share it in Relief Society too.)

"Perhaps the greatest charity comes when we are kind to each other, when we don’t judge or categorize someone else, when we simply give each other the benefit of the doubt or remain quiet. Charity is accepting someone’s differences, weaknesses, and shortcomings; having patience with someone who has let us down; or resisting the impulse to become offended when someone doesn’t handle something the way we might have hoped. Charity is refusing to take advantage of another’s weakness and being willing to forgive someone who has hurt us. Charity is expecting the best of each other."
~Marvin J. Ashton

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is so beautiful...I love it!

JMP said...

Holy cow. Mugs just called me this morning when she was reading her scriptures and said she found this quote in the book of mormon study guide. It is amazing. I must really need to work on it ( I know I do!) because I've never heard it before- now I hear it twice in one day!) Your blog and babies are SO cute btw. :)

Gma Tisa said...

You shared this with me when I had a lesson on charity...when we were in Hawaii! Excellent advice! Thank you Elder Ashton! (Miss him!)And thank you, Nat, for posting it!

Katy said...

Talk about an answer to prayer. I can't even begin to describe how much I needed this right now. I will write about it - wow Nat, this is amazing.

whitney allison said...

That really is a great quote, and definitely something I needed to hear.

Rachel B said...

yay! glad you kept that quote! thanks for always being charitable towards me cousin!