Thursday, March 24, 2011

The Truth...

I think I may put on a facade that having twins + 3 other rambunctious boys is easy. The truth is that IT IS HARD!!! It seems that most of my posts are about the good times, the easy times, the times I want to remember. But there are many, many things about our life that I haven't recorded that make it seem like it's been a breeze since the babies came.

Earlier this week I was talking to my cousin, Ashley (who is one of my favorite people because she is so down-to-earth and real). She said, "I don't think I've ever heard you say one negative thing about having two babies! You're just always so positive and sometimes I think, if Natalie can do this with TWO, I can do it with ONE." Here's where I could tell you all about the hard times and rattle on and on about the negatives of having twins...but I won't. Instead I'll tell you that I completely believe that it's all about ATTITUDE! I've sort of adopted the "fake-it-til-you-make-it" attitude and I often pretend that I don't need help, I have everything under control, and I'm ready to take on more. And sometimes I really don't need help, I really do have things under control, and I really do feel like I could take on more. But those times are few and far between. In reality, most of the time I have at least 3 loads of laundry that need to be washed, dried, and/or folded. Most of the time I have dishes that need to be washed, floors that need to be swept, and beds that need to be made. And most of the time I feel like I'm just barely holding it all together.

Growing up, my mom had a quote that hung on her wall that said,
"Cleaning and scrubbing can wait til tomorrow,
for babies grow up, we've learned to our sorrow.
So quiet down cobwebs, dust go to sleep,
I'm rocking my babies, and babies don't keep."

So if you show up at my house (unannounced) and you aren't invited past the front door, it's not because I don't like you...it's because I've spent the entire day holding or rocking one baby after the other and my house looks like a bomb went off! And if you do get invited past the front door, it's because I know that you understand me and that you won't judge.

How's that for the truth?

***By the way, this post was not written to get sympathy from anyone. Just needed to get a few things off my chest. Thanks for listening.***

9 comments:

JMP said...

Yeah! I've been waiting to do a blog about YOU and your amazing attitude, but somehow I lost the picture on my SD card of you before I put it on the computer. So- now what I was gonna' say about you- you said. I don't have twins or even a baby for that matter but I hear you on the whole front door deal. I feel like I am learning more and more that while the environment in my home is so important, it's about the people- not the stuff being where it should be.

Brad and Rebecca said...

i like that attitude. you're the best.

Jane said...

You're a great mom who knows her limitations and her priorities. Just keep doing what you're doing and love those little ones!

Nichole said...

Oh how I can RELATE! Well kind of, I only have 2 kids lol. Im a huge fan of this post though, sometimes im even proud of my mess, yep I played all day and made food and playd some more, and then during nap time I took that time for ME and did nothing! WELL DONE I say :)

Gma Tisa said...

So glad your head is all together about all of this. But you do have a mother/father-in-law who are here for you and Spencer and those wonderful little ones. We love you guys and are here to help when you need us....I do hope you know that. You are a great mom and I love to watch the way those babies just love to look at you and hear your voice when you talk to them...that is just one of the sweetest things I have ever seen.

Mendel Family said...

I CAN'T believe that your mom had that quote up on her wall! That was my sister-in-law Kim's favorite quote! I am having it made in vinyl lettering and putting it up on my wall in honor of her. That was literally her motto in life. Her kids were more important to her than anything else! You are a great mom! Love ya!

Julie said...

Love this post!! I think you are a super mom because you have a super attitude. You are a great example to me!!

Rachel B said...

you are a great example!

The Wiseman Life said...

You are the most amazing woman. I have always thought so from the first time I meet you. I loved having Gavin in my primary class and was always amazed at how knowledgeable he was of the Gospel, something that a child learns only from parents.
You are a great example to me and I love your positive attitude. I have never seen you without a huge smile on your face....you are a special woman!