Thursday, March 22, 2012

Two Stars

Each month, our elementary school honors three students from each class in a Star Student Assembly...two awards are given from the teacher, one from the Principal.  In October, Cameron was awarded a Principal's Choice.  We were in Wyoming, attending the funeral of our dear friend so my mom and Mike had gone in our place.  Imagine how surprised I was when I received an e-mail from both Cam & Gavin's teachers March 20 (the day before the assembly) letting me know they were both going to be recognized.  I hurried to see what was on my schedule for the following day and realized I was supposed to teach piano lessons during the exact time of the assembly.  I now have 23 students so rearranging my lesson schedule is not easy.  Spencer had just gotten back from Portland and had appointments so he couldn't get away from work either.  I called Emily to see if maybe she could go to the assemblies. (They have 2 assemblies, one for the younger grades K-2, and one for the older grades 3-6, so we had to be in both.)  As I was asking her to represent me, I started thinking about how important it was that I go.  I mean, I'd missed the first one, and I'M THE MOM!  So I called my piano students and moved everything around.

They try to keep the Star Students a surprise so when we got to the school, we found a few chairs in the back and settled in.  I put the babies in their backpack leashes and felt like I was driving cattle.  A couple of minutes before the assembly started, Emily and Miley walked in.  We didn't know they were coming but Madi was so glad to see Mi-Mi and I was glad to see an extra set of hands.  Gavin saw us before the assembly started and his face lit up!  The boy loves to receive attention!  His certificate says, "This award is presented to Gavin Styer because he is always doing everything he has to do with a lot of integrity and seriousness."  It was given from his French teacher.



The first assembly only lasted 30-40 minutes, which means we had 20+ minutes before the next group of kids came in for their assembly.  Owen, Han, Madi, and Miley enjoyed running through the gym, chairs on the stage, halls, and eating ALL the snacks we had packed to help keep them quiet during the assemblies.  





 We settled back into our seats as the older students started filing in.  We were really trying to hide from Cam's class so he wouldn't see us.  Just before the assembly started, Miley took off in a mad dash for the door!  Emily had to chase after her and Cam saw us.  Oh well.  He was still surprised, as was I, when he received another Principal's award.  His reads, " This award is presented to Cameron Styer because he is always cooperative and cares about doing the right thing."




I hope my boys continue to do their best in school.

2 comments:

Damien and Ashley said...

Two things:
1. The twins and Miley are so big!
2. You are freaking amazing!

Nichole said...

Good kids! Yahoo for those handsome boys and for you! Those are sweet moments of 'holy crap im doing something right!' :) Your kids are darling as ever. The twins are getting so big!!