Monday, August 26, 2013

Broadway Kidz

At the beginning of the summer, Gavin auditioned for a production called Broadway Kidz. We didn't know what to expect but we went to the Amphitheater (walking distance from our house) and he was prepared with a short vocal solo (Take Me Out to the Ballgame) and we were told he'd learn a simple dance routine. After his very brief audition, they told us to keep checking their website and my email because they may have call backs. 


They didn't have enough boys audition so instead of call backs, they sent out a plea for boys. I asked Owen if he wanted to audition. He said no. Then minutes before the audition time was over, he told me he'd changed his mind and we rushed back to the amphitheater. (Luckily, his kindergarten teacher had taught him an awesome version of "I've been Working on the Railroad" and he was comfortable with it.) The director informed me that Owen was the only boy in his age group to audition and he had a part for him. And he also said Gavin had made it too!

So we started an entire summer of rehearsals. Honestly, some days the boys were exhausted and didn't want to go but they pushed through it. They got to march in the Draper parade, performed at the Draper Amphitheater for 6 nights, and made some great friends and memories. 

The show was officially called Broadway Kidz Hit the Books. They told nursery rhymes and other stories and interlaced them with songs. Gavin's biggest role was the Hickory Dickory Dock Mouse. His costume was hideous but he sang a solo "Too much Time on my Hands". He was also in the scenes from Hunger games & Harry Potter. Owen was a sheep in Little Bo Peep and he was also in the Harry Potter scenes, appearing as Professor Flitwick and leading the Harry Potter choir. 

They were happy to have many important people come to their show. I really should've taken a picture with the boys and those who supported them each night but I didn't so instead, a list. 

Opening night, Friday: Callie & Ivie, Rick & Jane, Natalie
Saturday: Mrs. Bell, kindergarten teacher of both boys
Monday: Dave & Tisa, Spencer
2nd Friday: Gavin's Primary teacher
2nd Saturday: Spencer, Natalie, Cameron, Harrison, Madison, Callie & Ivie
Closing night: Gavin's school teacher

Before the performance tonight I asked the boys if they were glad they had done it and if they wanted to do it next year. Gavin immediately said YES! Owen wasn't sure but on the way home from the show, he told me he was looking forward to next year. 









3 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow~cute pix! Especially the one of me. JK

I enjoyed the performance, obviously since I went twice :) but I'm looking forward to next year, too!

Emily said...

Did you do any video footage? I'd love to see! That's my Sydney friend marching by Gav in the parade!! So fun!

Jane said...

I was wishing you'd have gotten some pictures of them in their awesome performing costumes! It was sure fun watching their performance. Loved the venue, the weather, those we were with, and most of all two cute little performers!