Wednesday, May 12, 2010

A Few Things about the Babies

On May 5th we went to have a super-duper ultrasound. As I've mentioned before, each time I see my regular doctor we get to view the babies on his ultrasound machine but because I'm considered "high risk" because we're having multiples, we got to go to the Perinatology Unit at IMC to have an ultrasound performed on a machine worth half-a-million dollars! Needless to say, this machine is incredible! Granted, the ultrasound took 1.5 hours but during it we were not only able to see that we are expecting one boy and one girl but also that they each have 10 fingers and 10 toes, fully functioning hearts, completely developed lips, & brain activity you wouldn't believe. We also learned that our babies are stacked on top of each other, (not side by side), that they each have their own placenta and sack (which is the best thing for twins, I'm told), and that because Baby Girl is higher and Baby Boy is lower, chances are pretty good that he'll be born first and she'll be born second...making her the only girl AND the baby of the family! We couldn't be more thrilled.

A few other things to note: At the time of the ultrasound, Baby Boy was measuring 10 days early, Baby Girl was measuring 7 days early. If they are still measuring this far ahead of schedule at our next fancy ultrasound, they'll actually change my due date accordingly! I saw my regular doctor today and discovered that although I thought I was 19 weeks along, I am really 19 weeks and 5 days so my doctor kept referring to me as 20 weeks. There is nothing better than telling a pregnant woman that she is further along than she thought she was! At our original appointment he told us to expect some physical restrictions beginning at 20 weeks but today he told us that everything is looking great and we won't start restricting things until 24 weeks. This first half of pregnancy has gone extremely quick for me. Also noteworthy is that I'm measuring at 28-29 weeks.

Many people ask how I feel and honestly, I feel great! I am tired, very tired, and I get winded when going up and down stairs but as long as I can get a little nap in the middle of the day and put my feet up in the evenings, I can accomplish most normal things throughout the day. However, it needs to be said that my husband and sister, Callie, have really stepped it up in helping out with cooking and cleaning and our house would be a disaster without them. My visiting teacher has helped out a ton with running kids to and from soccer practice, school, etc. And my in-laws took Gavin and Owen for a sleepover Tuesday night just because I was at my wits end with the boys. I'm lucky to have so many great people around me.

0 comments: