Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Yes, I Know I'm a Little Weird

I plan a dinner menu for about 2 weeks at a time. I like to have a plan so that when the kids ask, I have an answer. It also helps cut down on the grocery bill if I don't just randomly pick things up. And when I'm teaching piano until "dinner-time" I need to have something either already in the crockpot or fast and easy. So I'm a planner...and often I have a theme for our meal (mostly it's a Country.) Emily makes fun of me for it, but I think it's smart (and a little weird.) In honor of the Inauguration today, I had a truly American meal. What's more American than Hot Dogs, Chips, and Baked Beans. (I know it's not a healthy meal and it honestly is never on the dinner menu. But Gavin, especially, loved it and told me it's the best meal he's ever had.) And I baked my very first Apple Pie. Yum-O!

10 comments:

Emily said...

Now, you've got it all wrong.. I don't make fun of you, I'm totally jealous that you have the time and talent to plan your meals and countries 2 weeks in advance! Maybe you should post every night showing the world your talent. Seriously, I think that you're awesome and hope that I can be a cook just like you someday. You make meals so fun! Plus delicious!

Gma Tisa said...

What a beautiful pie...and daughter-in-law!

Amber McArthur said...

I think that is so fun! I plan a menu but I am going to start having a theme night! I love it! you are so creative and great job on the pie!

Amy said...

I totally agree. A menu is the way to go. We don't always stick to it, but it is so nice to have a plan. I love the country theme...the only crazy thing we have ever done is holiday stuff and green eggs and ham on April Fools. Hooray Nat!

Damien and Ashley said...

I love that you are so creative! I plan a menu too, but like Ams says, theme nights sound fun! Your pie looks yummy! Good job. I have actually never made a pie---growing up we all had different jobs---Amber is the pie maker and I make great gravy! :)

Krista said...

How fun and creative!

Sandi said...

That is SO funny! I never knew you were a "theme dinner" kinda girl, but I should have had my suspected something was awry when you named your cake "spring cake" and said it was a tradition. What a fun idea!

Sarah Sharp said...

Clifford the big red dawg wants to know if there were any visits to the emergency room from the first time pie, and Sarah says she would like to try themes, but we'll see.

Amy said...

Glad to know that someone else plans all their dinners out, only I do a month at a time because I didn't like looking at a half-filled calendar (yes, it's weird). However, I LOVE your theme night ideas, so much better than my "breakfast for dinner" evenings I'm sure! Lovely pie btw. I've never been able to do a proper lattice....

Jake and Megan said...

You are totally amazing! I do love to plan my meals out, but just do it a week at time. Do have any good recipe|?(i am sure you do)I would love some of them. The pie looks so good|--Martha!!