Saturday, November 15, 2008

A Little Scare

To all of my Mom's blog readers,

We had an adventure today! At 2:00 my mom and dad put me in my bed for a nap. I pretended to be asleep until mom left to go run errands and dad started snoring. Then I sneaked (or is it snuck) out of my room and went into Aunt Callie's room. Gavin made a musical instrument in preschool this week and I wanted something I could shake around and make noise. I found a bottle with little white pills inside. It made pretty music. Then I discovered that my chubby little hands could open the bottle. I decided to eat one because they looked like candy even though they were acid controller pills. I ate a few before my mom got home and noticed that I had white powder on my lips. She got all freaked out and called Poison Control. They said that since I was only 2, I shouldn't be eating that kind of medicine and that mom would need to take me to the hospital to be monitored. The doctors listened to my heart, took my blood pressure, and pushed on my tummy. I didn't understand what the big deal was until I heard my mom say she thought I'd eaten 25 pills...25? Are you kidding me? They tasted NASTY, why would I eat 25? They told mom and I that we'd have to stay at the hospital for 3 hours, watching TV and they would continue to check my vitals. Luckily, about this time, Cameron and Gavin located the remaining pills that I had stashed under my bed. Dad called mom and they counted up how many pills my brothers had found and how many were left in the pill bottle. There were only 4 unaccounted for. The doctors let me go home. I am so happy my brothers figured it out!

Love,

Owen


P.S. I was a little whiny at the hospital because I didn't want to be there, I wanted to be home with my brothers. I kept crying and saying, "I want Cameron...I want Gavin." Mom made a recording of me but can't figure out how to upload it. She'll keep trying to figure it out.

Also, don't be alarmed at the big gash on my head, it has nothing to do with this afternoon's adventure. I ran into a door this morning...I'm a typical 2-year-old :).

11 comments:

Krista said...

I would have freaked out. I can't believe that happened. I'm so glad Owen is okay. You are a great mom to know how many pills were in the bottle, I would have no idea. I bet Owen is really sorry he tried that candy. Let's hope he never does that again.

Jane said...

Dear Owen,
Grandpa and I are very happy that you are OK! It seems funny now, but it certainly wasn't funny when your mom called to tell us she was on her way with you to the emergency room. It's hard to learn what you can and cannot get in to when you are only 2, but try to be a good boy and only play with toys and things you know are safe. We are looking forward to seeing you on Thanksgiving!
Love, Granny

Anonymous said...

Tell your mommy that I love her.

Amy said...

Nat: That would have totally freaked me out. I am a mess in a crisis--glad everything is OK

Jen said...

I am glad everything is o.k. It's always scary when something like that happens. Luckily you found the other pills.

Damien and Ashley said...

I'm so glad he is okay! That is scary, and sadly, probably more common than we think...Little O is so sweet, I'm so glad he's good now!

Tara said...

oh my heck that would have scared me to death as im sure it did to you. im so happy he is ok.

Cindy said...

Hey there, I was so excited to see your comment. It's been way too long. When did you move to Draper??? Crazy how life just happens and we easily lose touch w/ people. Hope you are doing great! Holy Cow! What a scary thing w/ little Owen. My little Kaleb took a little taste of Ammonia about a year ago and I too had to make a phone call to poison control. Gotta love kids. I'll have to check in on your blog from time to time, feel free to do the same with mine.

Kayleen said...

Oh that's so scary! I'm so glad he is o.k.

Gma Tisa said...

So so glad our little guy is okay. This gma and gpa were very worried when we got the message. Raising 2 year olds is so much fun...glad you're such a good Mom and Dad. Things like this happen to the best of us. Seems like Owie always has a booboo on that little head. Hope this weekend is quieter!

Amy said...

WOW! I've had that happen, and it's an almost instant heart attack for any mom! It's always good to know when you filled a Rx and how many you should have! I'm so glad he's okay and things went well for him.