Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Memorial Day 2011

I have 43 first cousins on my mom's side of the family. Growing up, we were extremely close. My Grandma Marie loved to have her family nearby so we found a reason to have a family party every month. We had the normal family traditional get-togethers (Christmas, Easter Egg Hunt, Grandparents Birthdays) and we had a few of our own (Kite Flying, Halloween/Talent Show, Pioneer Day). After Grandma & Grandpa passed away, our parties became fewer and fewer. I mean, with 150+ people at each party, it's just not easy or practical anymore. We now have ONE reunion each year. Needless to say, we all look forward to it and most come. Our reunion is always on Memorial Day.

Spencer & I had purchased tickets to Les Miserables in Salt Lake City. The only tickets we were able to get were for Sunday night, the day before Memorial Day. So although we don't normally go places on the Sabbath, we had decided to make an exception. Callie & Mike were going to babysit all five kids so we were looking quite forward to it. Then I was reminded that the reunion was the following day and we'd have to drive there and back on the same day. I would also be preventing Callie & Mike from going to Idaho any sooner. After much discussion, we decided to sell our tickets to Les Mis, promising each other that we'd go at the next opportunity, so we could go to Idaho on Sunday. It was a wise decision.

We attended our Sacrament Meeting and then loaded up the car to head north. Traveling with five kids is not easy. When we go anywhere for longer than a day, we have to put a luggage storage thing on top of the car. I didn't want to have to do this this time. So we packed LIGHT and we were able to get everything we needed for our overnight at Granny's in 2 smaller bags which fit in the car! The drive to Idaho was pretty uneventful, babies slept, boys read, listened to iPods and played Leapsters. When we got to my parent's house, they were at church. Mom & dad had pretty much made dinner but we finished getting it ready and reheated so it would be ready to eat when they got home. Uncle Tim was visiting from Arizona and would be joining our family for Sunday dinner. It's always fun to have Uncle Tim at your table!

After dinner we sat and visited. Our "godmother" Kathy and her daughter, Amy, and granddaughter, Sari, came over to see us all. Uncle Tim shared some funny stories, cousins played and played, and we had dessert before calling it a night.



Monday was a cold, dreary day. Years ago, when my grandparent's headstone was first placed, we decided to paint the flowers on my grandma's side a light pink and grandpa's boots red. It just seemed to fit them better. I was the one who originally did the painting so when it's needed, I'm also the one who gets to touch it up. This year it was needed. Callie, Mom, and I drove to the cemetery after breakfast so I could repaint Grandpa's boots. I'm not really sure why but it touches my heart each time I do it and I usually shed a few tears. By the time it was finished, it was time to go get the rest of the family and get to the reunion.


Many of the things they had planned for the reunion were supposed to take place outside but since the weather didn't cooperate, we had more time to visit in the church. We had lunch, a short program, and lots of visiting. Some of the family members brought their guitars and had a "jam session" on the stage after most of us had left. I wish we could've stuck around for it because I heard it was a lot of fun and great music! A few things I want to remember about the reunion:

My Aunt Karen is our family historian. Her family was in charge of the reunion this year and they focused on things Hugh & Marie had taught us. My Aunt Sue shared a short memory of a time that she had overheard her parents quarreling, which all parents do. My grandpa left the house and she turned to her mother and said, "Are you guys going to get divorced now?" My Grandma Marie turned to her and said, "We did not get married to get divorced. We loved each other then, we love each other now. We were married in the temple so we could be together forever. Don't ever think we'll get divorced." Aunt Sue also shared a poem my grandma wrote called "Cows." My grandpa was a dairy farmer and grandma said when she married him, she also married cows! But between family, cows, and church they were happy.

Grandma played the accordion and taught many to play as well. My parents both learned and, in her honor, played an accordion duet of "Springtime in the Rockies". We all kind of giggle when they get out the accordions because, let's face it, they are funny! But it was nice to remember Grandma. If she and Grandpa had been there, they would have done the two-step around the Cultural Hall!


My boys and Ryan's girls, Abbie & Avery, then sang "A Young Boy Prayed." Jette couldn't be left out so she stood next to the kids while they sang. Aunt Karen read “Suggestions to the Boys and Men In the Family” written several years ago by Grandpa Hugh, and “Advice To My Posterity”, written by Grandma Marie. I wish I had a copy of both of those...someday I'll get them and post them.

There were 149 people there that day. We had a giant group picture taken by my cousin Ruth. She took two pictures and will photoshop them together. I'm anxious to see it. (My Uncle Tim wanted to be in both halves of the pictures so he will appear twice!) Then Ruth took a quick picture of my twins. I absolutely love them and look forward to doing an entire session with her!

3 comments:

Jane said...

Ummmmm....a picture of us playing the accordians? Really? Oh well, I guess it's good for posterity's sake. It was a fun reunion and we're grateful you sacrified your Les Mis tickets so you could come. Great memories and great post!

Damien and Ashley said...

I was all weepy (still am actually) after we left the reunion. It is kinda mind boggling to think about all those people in that crowded gym-and we are all there because of Grandma and Grandpa! I love the feeling I get when we are all together, it makes me realize what our lives are supposed to be like and what we should center our lives around. It is good to be a part of something so grand. I wonder what Grandma and Grandpa think when they look down and see us all together. They probably never would have imagined such a crowd! Being together really helped me remember the "eternal perspective" of my life!

It was good to chat-although not nearly long enough! I could chat it up for hours with my cousins and sisters! ADDISON is still talking about MADISON and really wants to babysit her...:) We will have to call ya if we get down there anytime soon.

Jake and Megan said...

We are so sad we couldn't make it for the reunion. Jake had his (brothers/sisters)big reunion, which we had been planning for the last 6 months. Looks so fun & it made me get a big lump in my throat that I missed it all. I think about g&g alot & think how fun it would be if they were still alive & to live in Blackfoot.(who would have thought I would live here)YOur twins are so cute & we need to get together soon. You are amazing!