Thursday, February 28, 2008

A Special Day

Today is my mom & dad's 32nd wedding anniversary. I unsuccessfully tried to get a picture of them on their wedding day. However, I've been thinking about what a great story they have and though most of you may already know it...I'll tell it again. I sure hope I get this right...

My dad's family moved to Blackfoot and he started his Junior Year at Snake River High School. Grandpa Tew was the band teacher and there was a lot of talk about his 2 sons, Randy & Rick. One of the first days of school, my mom and her 5 little friends introduced themselves to Rick..."I'm Val, Val, Val, Becky, Pam, and Jane!" One day in choir class my dad slid onto the piano bench next to my mom and asked if she needed any help! What nerve. Then a few weeks before the Homecoming Game/Dance my dad approached my mom on the way to seminary and asked, "Do you have a date for Homecoming yet?" "No," replied sweet Jane. "You do now!" said Rick as he ran off. She didn't hear much more from him until he came to pick her up for the dance wearing COWBOY BOOTS! Tacky. They were pretty much inseparable from that time on.

My mom waited for my dad while he served a mission to Mexico. Shortly after he returned they decided to get married. One day when they were driving in the car, they stopped at a railroad track and my dad tossed my mom a little box with her engagement ring. That was pretty much how he asked her to be his forever!

They have raised 4 children and have taught us all what it truly means to love. We appreciate your example and wish you many more happy years together. We love you!

Today was also Spencer's Grandma's birthday. She passed away in 2003. Although I never met her I feel a little like I know her because I know and love her daughter, my mother-in-law.

6 comments:

Team Hanni said...

I love this post..... makes me want to meet your parents. What an awesome story.

Jane said...

Hey you! Telling all our secrets! But thanks for the sweet tribute. I'm glad dad & I got together all those years ago. We've been through a lot together, but that only makes it better! Here's to 32 more years (plus eternity of course)!
Mom

Gma Tisa said...

Nice to read the tribute to Rick and Jane...and my little paragraph! Thank you dear daughter-in-law!!!

Emily said...

I love those people!

Jonathan & Rachel said...

We all love those people!! Happy anniversary Uncle Rick and Aunt Jane!!

rebecca christiansen said...

How can this be? Here you are, telling the story of 2 of my favorite people ever!!! RickJane, that's how inseparable they were, are my bestest friends and I'm proud to say so...

Tell them HI! I miss them.
Becky of the Val, Val, Val, Becky, Pam, Jane era.